QUESADILLAS WITH MOLE ROJO
These quesadillas are different from what you traditionally get in Oaxaca, which are corn tortillas filled with quesillo (string cheese), squash blossoms and epazote. I created this version about 40 years ago in New York City, for my catering company, Seasons of my Heart. They are made with flour tortillas, like my Grandmother made, were extremely popular and are easy to make. If you prefer, you can also use corn tortillas. I like to garnish the quesadillas with tiny minced colored bell peppers and sprinkle that on top or on the border of the plate to make a festive look.
Serve this with ¡Ya Oaxaca! Mole Rojo sauce for an easy, tasty snack!
- 8 ounces Quesillo, Chihuahua, Manchego, or other melting cheese, shredded or grated
- ¼ cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chile serrano or jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped or substitute 2-4 tablespoons green bell pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 -10 Flour or corn tortillas approximately 6 inches
- A little oil for the frying pan or griddle
- ¼ red, green or yellow bell pepper, minced, optional, to garnish - called confetti
- ¡Ya Oaxaca! Mole Rojo sauce, heated to serve as a dipping sauce
Place the shredded quesillo or grated cheese in a medium bowl.
Add the white onion, chile serrano or bell pepper and cilantro. Mix well. Divide the mix into 8 little mounds on a baking sheet or plate.
Heat the tortilla quickly on both sides on a hot comal, griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Place one mound on a tortilla and fold in half. Continue until all the tortillas are prepped.
Place a small amount of oil in the frying pan or griddle just to grease the pan. Place as many quesadillas in the pan and grill them on both sides, until the cheese melts. Take your time and do these in batches. Remove them to a platter and keep warm with a cloth.
Heat a jar of Mole Rojo sauce and keep warm.
Serve the quesadillas on a plate with a bowl of Mole Rojo sauce in the middle for dipping! Sprinkle the bell pepper confetti and serve.
Leave a comment